So what is it that I feel I need most right now? A number of things come to mind, money would be nice as I have a few bills piling up with no consistent way to pay them, my laptop recently died and as I am heading back to Uni, having my own computer would be a big help in study and production of work. A job would probably solve both of those problems, so maybe a job is what I need? Maybe I want time to speed up. I go back to Uni in February after a semesters break and I am keen to finally finish my degree. Unfortunately for me, I don't really see time speeding up as a solution to anything - I wouldn't want to miss the full enjoyment of Christmas with my family. Part of me feels that greater discipline would benefit me, or even better if someone could magically wave a wand over my head and make me a person of action - If that were to happen maybe I would have a spotless house and a healthy exercise regime.
So maybe what I need is an attitude adjustment. As I write these words I sigh to myself and say 'but thats so hard'. Really, I understand why I say that. Because its the same thing I say when I do consider getting my chores done or going out for a jog, or doing something I know needs to be done but for some mysterious reason I always end up leaving - to the detriment of my personal condition. What can I do to repair this? My first consideration is a goal and reward system of thought which would provide me with personal direction.
I could probably talk about a million other things that I might need. But in my current state (which will most likely change) I am going to stick with this answer; What I need most right now are personal goals and methods in which to reward myself. I think that I have just determined something which I probably knew all along. I want to take the next step now and begin to act on my realisation. How am I going to set up a personal goal and reward system and maintain it? Well this website gives a thorough, reasonable look at setting those big goals and smaller daily goals.
So let me have a go at it now. I am going to begin with a big goal, and under that goal I am going to set out the smaller goals that will help me achieve it.
1. Finishing my university degree
To finish my university degree, a Bachelor of Arts with a major in philosophy. Would be to finish a major chapter in my life and would open up so many doors for me. Finishing my degree means that I have better employment options and is also an accomplishment in itself. What goals will I set to help me on the road to finishing university?
- Reading often - reading subject matter that will prepare me for reading the tough stuff that is often presented in lectures. So sub goal - read a little bit each day.
- Writing often - I cant write a good essay if I only polish one off at the end of each course. Sub goal, continue regular blog posts - reward myself by noting how many readers I get.
- Do ALL of my homework - I wont be able to work on this until I actually start back. Hopefully the previous two goals will set a good disciplined pace.
This speaks for itself, a tidy home means I enjoy my surroundings more. I really spend a lot of time at home so this means I have lots of time to;
- Keep doing small and regular chores which over a course amount to a clean house. I think I often set myself this goal and often I fizzle out after a mammoth effort and then it degrades. MUST BE CONSISTENT! How might I reward myself with this?
I am most certainly not the figure of good health. I am 'heavily set' and have a bad habit of emotional eating. I don't often do a lot of physical exercise and would benefit from a fair bit more. As such, my minimal goals are going to be (in the beginning)
- Jog once per week: As a start I know this wont really help a lot, but I want to do this in conjunction with
- Swimming for an hour or more at least three times per week. I find that it should be practicable for me to wake up in the morning, put my swimmers on, take my partner to work and then drop by the pool on the way back. Three times per week.
- Eat better. Make a conscious decision to not purchase any indulgent foods more than once per week (We all need a treat now and then) Also I must search for equally enjoyable foods that might be a bit nicer on my waistline.
Over the last few months I have been rather reclusive and not such a great person to be around. As such I have really fell out of touch with a lot of people. And as I am a social creature I think a little more interaction might do me well. My sub goals then become;
- To initiate conversation with friends - This might be over facebook, a chat program, text messaging or if I see them on the street. My intention will be to say hi and to catch up on how things have been with them.
- To do my best to attend every social event I'm invited too. Money is an issue for me at the moment, so there may be some I simply cannot afford to attend.
- Within the next two months stage my own social event.